Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Tribute To Lolo

Puppy is Patrick's "security blanket", although it is not really a blanket but a stuffed toy of a dog.  I remembered buying it on my way home from work a month after Patrick turned 1 (so that's probably around December of 2009) and it was on sale too (woohoo! bargain!)  When Patrick first laid his eyes on puppy, of course he was excited to play with it as it is new to his eyes, but like any other kids, after a few minutes or so, puppy laid un-noticed already at one corner of the room.

During this time, my dad, Patrcik's lolo (grandad) is already bed-ridden due to illness.  It is worth to mention that Patrick had this special bond with his lolo, he's a lolo's boy!  My dad was always patient with Patrick.   From the time that he was still an infant crying his lungs out, when I'd get frustrated because I have no idea what to do anymore and I cant' make Patrick stop crying and sleep at the wee hours of the morning, my dad was always there to rescue me, he'll have that extra-ordinary patience with him and true enough, after just a few minutes, he'll be able to get Patrick to sleep in his chest while they are seated at the rocking chair in our living room.  I never saw him get frustrated or got angry with Patrick even at the height of Patrick's tantrums.  He would take him to walks in the morning, make him eat his breakfast as well when he'll refuse to open his mouth to eat.  Even when he was not feeling well already, he would still watch over Patrick in the mornings when I have to go to work already.  He'd tell me to bring Patrick to his room, they'd sit together and watch Pocoyo on the TV.  He bought Patrick his first ever bicycle and insisted to go with us to the mall eventhough he's already having trouble walking.

Every night, a few minutes before Patrick goes to sleep, he'd hung out at his lolo's room to watch TV.  Lolo would always hug puppy and tease him that he loves puppy more than Patrick and  of course this would make Patrick cry all the time.  He would throw puppy out of lolo's room!  By then, lolo's condition was worsening already.  But it didn't stop for the two of them to bond.

February 18, 2010 at 8:25pm, my dad passed away due to cardiac arrest secondary to stage 4 lung cancer.  I remembered whispering to my dad's ear at the ICU of the hospital that morning that he needs to fight for me and Patrick and that he is waiting for him at home.  I was just so scared that nobody would defend us anymore.  My dad was always our defender.  It scared the hell out of me the possibility of losing my dad.  During that whole day, his condition continued to worsen and we were told that his chances are slim already.  I still saw him fighting but I can also see that he was also already tired.  The doctor advised us already to say our last goodbyes to my dad.  I whispered again in his ear that its okay to let go already, and he need not worry because I will do everything I can to take care of Patrick and that we'll be okay.  A few minutes after that, he took his last breath.

I went home that night, Patrick was already sleeping and I noticed that he was hugging puppy.  I didn't think of anything back then.  Patrick was still too young to understand what happened to his lolo but we would tell him that lolo is sleeping and that he went to heaven.  During the wake, he'd bring puppy anywhere he goes.  He'd hold it by its tail.  I remembered trying to get puppy from him and he'd cry and say lolo.  I'd say he associated puppy with his lolo thus puppy becoming his security blanket until now.

People told me that Patrick was so young when his lolo passed away and that he will never remember him but until to this day, he still mentions his lolo everytime he watches pocoyo on TV and when you make him point where his lolo is at a picture, he would still point correctly to his lolo's smiling face.  He would sometimes wave to nobody and say lolo.  I would like to think that lolo is still watching over him and it brings me comfort somehow.  I guess Patrick and Lolo's bond is stronger than I imagined.

We are about to celebrate lolo's 1st year death anniversary and still everyday is a struggle for me and Patrick especially at times when we need defending at home.  I know in my heart lolo is in a better place and that he is happy right now.  I miss lolo everyday but I know Patrick misses his lolo more than I do.

We love you lolo and you will be forever missed...

Patrick and Lolo during his 1st birthday


Visitng Lolo - Christmas 2010
Patrick and Puppy
   

Primo S. Garcia Jr. ( April 24, 1940 - February 18, 2010 )


No comments:

Post a Comment