Monday, January 10, 2011

Our Separation Anxiety

I always thought Patrick was the only one having issues with the so-called "separation anxiety" but boy! Was I ever so wrong!  I don't know if it's because I have been home for the past 2 months, seldom going out and if I do go out to run errands (eg. buy diapers and stuff) I always make it a point to bring him with me.  This morning, I needed to go somewhere and I can't bring him with me.  When I was about to leave the house, I explained to him where mommy is going and that I'll be back as soon as I can.  He did cry and made a fuss because he wanted to come with me and it really broke my heart to hear him crying and shouting mama as I was leaving the house.  A few minutes after I left, I suddenly felt so sad and was about to cry and throw a tantrum myself because I can't stop thinking of my little boy left at home.  Tsk! And I thought I was the tough one, hahaha!   I used to take my time whenever  I'm out of the house  to do stuff but today, I found myself trying to do things faster so I can quickly get home and be with Patrick.  Mommy-hood does change you!  :)

Here are some tips and pointers on how to deal with a child's (or parents, hahaha) separation anxiety

* In order to help the child tolerate the situation, try to create a positive spin whenever you have to leave your child behind. Remind your child that mom and dad are going away, but that they will always come back.

* It is not uncommon for people to dismiss anxiety separation as a child being "spoiled rotten" or in need of discipline. Talk with your child's doctor if you need more information about why a child is acting out or experiencing separation anxiety.

* Begin, if possible, by leaving the child with a baby-sitter or other caregiver for a few hours. Then work up to half a day and longer.

* Use storytelling for younger kids as a way of easing their anxiety about having to be away from their mother and father. Tell them stories about children who have to be away from parents, but are fine in the end.

* When dealing with children who have temper tantrums when they are forced to separate from their parents, be careful not to fall for this smoke screen. The child is anxious and is trying to tell you something that they cannot verbalize. Parents who deal only with the temper tantrum are missing the big picture. Assist your child by helping [him or her] to overcome the challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment